Solved

Field Conditionals need to recognise 'current user'

• 5 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4

Requirement

In the absence of Parallel Flows in Pipefy

Approval Processes can hold up an entire process when some phases in a process could continue whilst an Approval is sought.

For example, imagine Phases A,B and C need approval before Phase F can be undertaken but Phases D and E could be undertaken whilst approvals are sought on A,B&C.

Solution

1. Phases A,B and C have an Approval Assignee field. 
  2. When Fred, the user assigned for Approval opens Phase A, a field condition detects that ‘current user’ = Phase A Approval Assignee and shows a (previously hidden) Approval Date field

With this approach, a Card needn’t move to a dedicated Approval Phase. Approval is possible in the Phase in which it was requested

icon

Best answer by marcosmelo 5 April 2024, 18:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, @mark-theotcentre 
In your other suggestion, I inserted a link to an article for connecting pipes. I used parallel flows this way for approvals and it helps a lot

Userlevel 4

Hi @marcosmelo thank you so much for your posts I really appreciate it.

That’s interesting. We’ve used Phase Connections before but not in this way. I feel I’m missing a lot of opportunities with Pipefy perhaps due to my inflexible thinking and the Pipefy documentation isn’t always great at helping us translate the tools into effective solutions for real world scenarios. Are there documents or training videos you could particularly recommend.

Meantime, I’ll create a separate connected Pipe for parallel approvals for this Pipe.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, @mark-theotcentre 

Unfortunately when it comes to creating flows like this, there are no videos on the subject, but there is the option to create them with the help of AI Pipefy:

How to use Pipefy's artificial intelligence to create the perfect processes for you

Pipefy's artificial intelligence tool can help you create processes from scratch and recommend workflow optimizations.

https://help.pipefy.com/en/articles/8506952-how-to-use-pipefy-s-artificial-intelligence-to-create-the-perfect-processes-for-you

Userlevel 4

Hi @marcosmelo thanks again. I’ll check it out.

I’ve been experimenting with you suggestion for Approvals by creating a separate Approvals Pipe. All makes sense but there are a couple of wrinkles I wonder whether you might offer some insight on?

So

1. I’ve created an “Approvals” Pipe which (I’m hoping) will be re-used on any number of Pipes so I’m trying to keep the Approvals Pipe reasonably generic.
  2. I’ve connected the Pipe to the *phases* on the ‘parent’ Pipe which require approval (using the Pipe Connection field)

THis all hangs together just fine, except;

• when an Approval is created from a Phase in the parent process, it isn’t possible to work out which phase in the parent pipe the approval came from. Is there any way we can grab this at the time the approval card is created?
  • when an Approval request is processed with an outcome (eg Approved or Rejected) we can’t seem to find a way to message the requestor?

Any help appreciated, many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi, @mark-theotcentre 

1 When editing the connection between pipes, there is an option where you can map fields between the parent pipe and the child pipe, or parent card and child card. Option Auto Fill

How to autofill fields

Automatically fill cards or records with information from other pipes or databases.
https://help.pipefy.com/en/articles/1303264-how-to-autofill-fields

In this edition, you map the fields that will receive the phase status. Just select the target field and choose "Current Phase"
This way, we can know the stage at which approval was selected

2 To send the approval message, you can create email templates using dynamic fields in your message and creating standard phrases for the requester to know the status

Create, edit and send email templates
Learn about email templates and how they help establish a smarter, faster, and standardized communication flow.

https://help.pipefy.com/en/articles/4378163-create-edit-and-send-email-templates