Solved

What happens to existing cards when you update a start form?

• 28 January 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5

We pretty much live and breath in one main Pipe. I am thinking about updating the pipe’s start form and public form with some new options and conditionals. What will happen to cards created in the Pipe under the prior Start Form? Anything I should worry about?

icon

Best answer by Lana Fidelis 28 January 2021, 22:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 1

If you delete those fields Matt you'll lose the information registered on the previous cards, so be aware haha 

The best thing to do is to hide these fields with conditionals if you don't want them anymore. 

Userlevel 5

@Lana Fidelis Scary! I have over 500 cards right now in my “Done” pile. Maybe I should archive them at some point. 

So if I am adding a field that should not impact the past cards? It would just show that field as “blank” on any past cards? 

Does re-ordering a field impact past cards? 

Userlevel 5

@Lana Fidelis THANK YOU by the way. :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

So if I am adding a field that should not impact the past cards? It would just show that field as “blank” on any past cards? 

Does re-ordering a field impact past cards? 

Exactly: adding a field (even if it is “required”) will have the old cards to have empty values in those fields.

Reordering the fields will reorder them also on past cards (if you look in the history), but they will retain their values. Reordering is therefore “aesthetic only”.

Feel free to archive your cards data from time to time e.g. by exporting them from a report with all its fields as an Excel sheet. This way, you will have a snapshot which will not loose any fields (and can potentially be re-imported later on).

Userlevel 5

@genietim Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better about updating my Start Form soon. Is there any easy way to archive or delete batches of “Done” cards? I may just have to delete one by one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only “batch-delete” I know is to use the GraphQL API.

If you are brave, I can open a new thread in “Best Practices” where I would explain how to do that; there is a way to use the GraphQL API where I would just explain you where to copy-paste what (resp., I suppose the way would be to create an excel-file, from which to copy to https://app.pipefy.com/graphiql).