Solved

Task overview in one place

• 20 April 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi there!

At our company, we are currently looking into automating the onboarding process. During our demo’s to management, we got the question if there are any other ways to display the “not completed tasks”. We explained that they could be consulted in History of a card, but the feedback we got is that it could be a real search for the outstanding tasks. One requirement of management was that it could still happen in Pipefy, but just one overview for all the cards of the not completed tasks of each card.

So my question, to the community, is: what do you guys think is the best approach to display a full list of outstanding tasks in a pipeline, without having to search through the history of each card?

Note: We tried looking into ‘Tasks’ tab on the homepage, but that’s for a full phase. We’re looking for each individual task that is not completed for different phases. The current idea is to work with an extra pipeline, but then we’re not using what Pipefy was made for, since that requires configuring the same tasks on two different places.

Feel free to give some advice, regardless of the fact what my requirements are. That way we also get a better idea of what’s currently possible and what not with Pipefy.

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Lucas Democh 20 April 2023, 15:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Dylan

I don’t know if I understood what means “Task”. I guess that you are talking about “phases”, phases is steps that the cards must be walk-through to accomplish your process.

Whether we are talking about “Phases”, you can use the report to generate a “delayed or missed steps/phases”.

For example:

In my process there are following steps:

1. New Demand
  2. Pre-Req & Analysis
  3. Working in Progress
  4. Pending from Customers
  5. Pending from Internal team or 3rd.party
  6. Monitoring
  7. Done.

You can generate reports for each phase to identify which cards are “delayed”

For each phase are some controls that you can use to determine which are delayed like:

When the first time that the card entry into this phase

When it was the last update

The time could be relative or fixed.

I hope this can help you!

Good luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Dylan

I don’t know if I understood what means “Task”. I guess that you are talking about “phases”, phases is steps that the cards must be walk-through to accomplish your process.

Whether we are talking about “Phases”, you can use the report to generate a “delayed or missed steps/phases”.

For example:

In my process there are following steps:

1. New Demand
  2. Pre-Req & Analysis
  3. Working in Progress
  4. Pending from Customers
  5. Pending from Internal team or 3rd.party
  6. Monitoring
  7. Done.

You can generate reports for each phase to identify which cards are “delayed”

For each phase are some controls that you can use to determine which are delayed like:

When the first time that the card entry into this phase

When it was the last update

The time could be relative or fixed.

I hope this can help you!

Good luck.

Hi there, @Ezequiel Souza !

Thank you for your reply. From what I’ve been able to understand from reports, you can see which card still has some outstanding “tasks” via “X is Unknown”. That’s a possible solution, but this doesn’t entirely cover what management over here is looking for. They want a full list, which “tasks” are still not completed from previous phases. Meaning that, if I work with your example I want the following:

• My card is currently in “Pending from Customers”, but in “Working in Progress” is a task I still haven’t completed or checked or filled in. I now want a full overview, without clicking too much in the cards History, to see which task I still haven’t completed. So that I don’t have to go looking for the task that is still open in previous phase.

So basically what I’m trying to achieve is a full list of outstanding tasks from previous phases, when the card(s) are already in much later phases.

Hope this made it much clearer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi Dylan

In my process I control the way of cards moving, it’s means, the card cannot moved to Pending From Customer if the all fields in the earlier phase Working in Progress didn’t be fully filled.

I used mandatory fields to control this.

If you permit that card can be moved to another phase even with missed activities, unfortunately there is no way to do this kind of control.

Good luck.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Dylan

In my process I control the way of cards moving, it’s means, the card cannot moved to Pending From Customer if the all fields in the earlier phase Working in Progress didn’t be fully filled.

I used mandatory fields to control this.

If you permit that card can be moved to another phase even with missed activities, unfortunately there is no way to do this kind of control.

Good luck.

Alright, thank you for your answer, Ezequiel. Let’s see if other people from the community have some other ideas, but now I at least know the opinion of a more experienced person with Pipefy. Thnx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hello @dylan-verniers 

My suggestion is as follows:

- Replace the fields of this Onboarding Pipe (Task Checklist) by child cards in another Pipe.
- Create automations so that child cards are created according to your needs. You can create all child cards at once or create according to the steps in your Main (Parent) Pipe.
- Create automations to move the parent card when all children are completed.
- Depending on the complexity, this process can work in cascade (with more than two Pipes). Example: A new card in the onboarding process creates X cards in the Training Pipe and Y cards in the Contracts and Terms Signing Pipe.
- With this change, you can view the entire history on the Parent card and you can also view all pending issues in a separate Pipe.
- If you use the responsible field on child cards, the person will also be able to see all pending issues in Piepfy's "My Tasks" tab.

Good luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge

tiHello @dylan-verniers 

My suggestion is as follows:

- Replace the fields of this Onboarding Pipe (Task Checklist) by child cards in another Pipe.
- Create automations so that child cards are created according to your needs. You can create all child cards at once or create according to the steps in your Main (Parent) Pipe.
- Create automations to move the parent card when all children are completed.
- Depending on the complexity, this process can work in cascade (with more than two Pipes). Example: A new card in the onboarding process creates X cards in the Training Pipe and Y cards in the Contracts and Terms Signing Pipe.
- With this change, you can view the entire history on the Parent card and you can also view all pending issues in a separate Pipe.
- If you use the responsible field on child cards, the person will also be able to see all pending issues in Piepfy's "My Tasks" tab.

Good luck!

Hi @Lucas Democh !

Thank you for your reply. That’s also something we have been thinking about, but is there some “best practice” about this as to where you draw the line between creating another child card instead of creating it as a “phase task”? Because by creating another card in another pipeline, you are creating more places the need to be checked which means you could lose the overview.

The more I think about the matter, the more I’m starting to doubt it’s actually possible to have a solution that just groups everything in one place in Pipefy. Or at least in as few places as possible in Pipefy. Because what we basically want, is a way that shows the oustanding tasks like history does, but just a full list without having to go through all phases in history and going on a search for which task could have been missed or not completed in the past.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@dylan-verniers

It all depends on the level of data detail you need.

Here some scenarios:
1) Each onboarding recorded on a single card with chacklist fields (Your current scenario).
2) Each onboarding registered in a Pipe and with its tasks registered as a child card (proposed scenario).
3) Each onboading registered as multiple cards in a single Pipe (task level). Here you centralize everything in a Pipe, but you lose by not having a single card that represents the entire process.
4) Each onboarding registered in a single Pipe and with its tasks registered as a child card in several Pipes. Here you have the highest level of control, being able to have different SLAS and steps by task type. The loss is in the level of complexity for maintaining the process.

In proposal 2, although you divide the information into more than one Pipe, you still have the information centralized in the Parent Pipe (Onboarding) and the people who will participate in the process will not need to access it.

You divide it into a managerial and an operational view.

Userlevel 2
Badge

t@dylan-verniers

It all depends on the level of data detail you need.

Here some scenarios:
1) Each onboarding recorded on a single card with chacklist fields (Your current scenario).
2) Each onboarding registered in a Pipe and with its tasks registered as a child card (proposed scenario).
3) Each onboading registered as multiple cards in a single Pipe (task level). Here you centralize everything in a Pipe, but you lose by not having a single card that represents the entire process.
4) Each onboarding registered in a single Pipe and with its tasks registered as a child card in several Pipes. Here you have the highest level of control, being able to have different SLAS and steps by task type. The loss is in the level of complexity for maintaining the process.

In proposal 2, although you divide the information into more than one Pipe, you still have the information centralized in the Parent Pipe (Onboarding) and the people who will participate in the process will not need to access it.

You divide it into a managerial and an operational view.

Thank you, @Lucas Democh !